Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Olbermann: Gay Marriage is a Question of Love

If you watch nothing else today, please watch this:



My favorite part:

With so much hate in the world, with so much meaningless division, and people pitted against people for no good reason, this is what your religion tells you to do? With your experience of life and this world and all its sadnesses, this is what your conscience tells you to do?

With your knowledge that life, with endless vigor, seems to tilt the playing field on which we all live, in favor of unhappiness and hate... this is what your heart tells you to do? You want to sanctify marriage? You want to honor your God and the universal love you believe he represents? Then Spread happiness—this tiny, symbolic, semantical grain of happiness—share it with all those who seek it.





via season of the bitch

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I almost texted you this video last night while I was watching it.. It was so touching to see Olbermann get so emotional in talking about it and he made such a strong argument... yet it was incredibly moving. I'm so glad someone finally came out and said very forwardly how ridiculous it is that gay marriage is even an ISSUE. Glad you enjoyed it, too!

shrink on the couch said...

Is anyone listening? Helloooooo? gosh, all those propositions succeeding is maddening, confusing, just plain sad.

petpluto said...

I loved this. I'm a fan of The Countdown; I like how pompous and blustery, and at times sanctimonious, Keith Olbermann gets. Even when I disagree with him, I enjoy watching him. But he doesn't normally (or ever) really emotionally move me. This moved me; it was powerful because he wasn't angry or yelling, or even (very) pompous but because he seems to genuinely and articulately not understand what could cause someone to vote against the rights of others.

Anonymous said...

When Olberman hits it out of the ball park he smashes down everything that is in his way. I hope those that were listening really heard his words.

Ajijaak said...

Olberman is great! I watched this and was pretty moved by it.