Monday, January 7, 2008

Breaking News: Hillary Clinton is a REAL PERSON with REAL EMOTIONS!

News media is in a frenzy after Clinton shows debatably genuine emotion in response to a question asked by an undecided voter earlier today. The woman asks, "How did you get out the door every day? I mean, as a woman, I know how hard it is to get out of the house and get ready. Who does your hair?"

I'd cry too, but for different reasons. Seriously, who asks that bullshit? "how do you get ready...who does your hair?" Really?! You are an undecided voter and have a lead candidate in front of you and that's the question you ask... What would she ask if Obama or Edwards was there? Certainly something more politically relevant.

I am really impressed though with Clinton's ability to turn a ridiculous question into an opportunity to show emotion, passion, and intellect. Here was her teary-eyed response:
I just don't want to see us fall backward as a nation. I mean, this is very personal for me. Not just political. I see what's happening. We have to reverse it. Some people think elections are a game: who's up or who's down. It's about our country. It's about our kids' future. It's about all of us together. Some of us put ourselves out there and do this against some difficult odds. We do it, each one of us, against difficult odds. We do it because we care about our country. Some of us are right, and some of us are not. Some of us are ready, and some of us are not. Some of us know what we will do on day one, and some of us haven't thought that through. This is one of the most important elections we'll ever face. So as tired as I am and as difficult as it is to keep up what I try to do on the road, like occasionally exercise, trying to eat right—it's tough when the easiest thing is pizza. I just believe so strongly in who we are as a nation. I'm going to do everything I can to make my case, and then the voters get to decide.

All joking aside, when i think about the current state our country is in, i want to cry also. After what the Bush administration has done, we desperately need a determined and focused leader in office. Is Clinton the right person for that job? I don't know... but she is the one i seem to be defending more and more lately...

The truth is, i'm fed up... with the media, with the general population, even with various friends and family when it comes to Hillary Clinton. The point is when she's strong and steadfast she is viewed as uptight, unapproachable, and too "masculine." Now when she shows vulnerability and emotion she is being too feminine and obviously not suited for the role of president. Spit it out people, what are you really saying? You're saying that women shouldn't be president because when push comes to shove, it's a (white, straight, Christian) man's job. And no matter how hard any "other" tries to fit the status quo, there's just no way to win.

I hope this election is different. It's time for a change in our country, and "change" seems to be the operative, buzz word nowadays which is a great thing in my mind.

Back to Clinton: was this whole teary-eyed, passionate, emotional response orchestrated by her campaign? Maybe... But this is politics people, and in 2008 it's a dirty race.

Below are some very well thought out and intelligent reactions to the article (read: sarcasm). I thought they would be fun to post here for your reference. Via Newsweek:

Comment: Do we really want a president who cries when the going gets tough?

Comment: Sure, I want a president that breaks and cries under pressure. NOT!!!!!!!Hillary can't even come close to being the statesman Muskie was, don't insult him by the comparison. Hilbillary admitted it. It is not about politics, it is "PERSONAL". Yes, her quest for power, and not politics.Don't let the crocodile tears fool you my democrat sheep friends.In short Hillary Clinton can't cut the mustard as President.

Comment: All I'd like to know is, how did she get that slice of onion into her handkerchief? If on the outside chance that it wasn't faked, then I'd say that the last thing this Nation needs is a crybaby with her finger on the nuclear trigger. "BooHoo.....you were mean to me!".....BOOM!

Comment: Thanks, Hillary. Thanks for setting women back oh-so-many decades. Appreciate it. Really I do.
(i don't get this one - how did she set women back?)

Oh and here's a doozy:
Comment: hahahahaha...what a cry baby. She needs to grow up before she gets her ticket to the white house. I'm surprised she hasn't ordered a death sentence on her opposition yet. I mean, we all know that's what she did to JFK Jr when he challenged her for the Senate seat in NY. Damn right we're more educated here on the West Coast. We know all about the Clinton Regime and their conniving schemes. It's too bad Hillary had her husband pull the trigger on John John. The country would have been better with that young honest Kennedy alive.

Even this, pseudo-positive comment left me cringing:
Comment: I find it funny that she is resorting to tears at this point. She's never shown a vulnerable side, a womanly side before. She's played hardball with the big dogs, and now, polls show she is down in N.H. and all the sudden the tears come out? I feel for her, this country needs a woman president, but not her.
(why is a "womanly side" parallel to a "vulnerable side"?)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I saw this on the news last night - they showed her entire response. I thought she was very eloquent, tactful and I thought to myself how glad I was that someone was finally being real. It's just so sad that people have such idiodic responses to that simply for the fact she's a woman.

Though I do love the person who thinks that the Clinton's killed John Jr. That whole response sounded highly educated to me.

I'm still not sure who I am voting for - but I do know I'm scared for our country knowing these loons on Newsweek are running amok!

-Brandi

Smirking Cat said...

I heard some ridiculous and idiotic "joke" on the radio this morning that used the phrase "I am Hilary, hear me roar" about 50 times too many. It's evident that Hilary Clinton's political stance or opinions will never take center stage. No one seems to be able to get past the fact that she doesn't have a penis. She's the freak show "girl candidate", and our idiotic society and media can't see past gender stereotypes long enough to even be concerned with the future of a country injured by Bush. The next President has a hefty job, making repairs on gaping wounds that Bush left; shouldn't we be a tad bit more concerned about the candidates' plans to turn this around? The swaggering macho years with Bush weren't exactly productive, or are we the only ones who have noticed?

Indy said...

I know. She's not my first choice, but I am sick of hearing the ridiculous jokes at her expense that would never be directed at men - her appearance, voice, clothing. If she wears pant suits, she's too mannis. If she wears a skirt, she's too feminine. If she's businesslike and firm, she's too tough. If she shows her human side, she's not tough enough.

I don't know how she's doing it either. I mean, the question about getting ready and doing her hair is ridiculous, but I'm sure she's taken a hell of an emotional beating.

So sad that people even care about her appearance or what she wears. I have not heard a single remark about any of the male candidates' clothing or appearance.

Renee said...

What pisses me off enormously is the flipside. If it were Obama tearing up over something, the country would LOVE it. Don't you think? He's been on top of the world thanks to his use of "feminine" rhetoric and now that Hillary shows emotion, everyone gets all bent out of shape... even though the [Fox] pundits thinks she's trying to hard to be a manly man.

Fuck.